Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Middle School "Love" Letters

For Valentine's Day, I asked my students to write love letters.  I only gave them three rules.


1. They can write to anyone or anyTHING.
2. They must be appropriate, because I'm going to read them.
3. I would like for them to be cheesy and make me laugh.

Here's a few of my favorites.....

Dear light pole on Main Street, 
   They way you sway in the moonlight makes me want to dance with you.  You are so slick and minty fresh like four day old gum.  The way you shine is like Megan Fox walking into my bedroom.  You have that sexy hourglass figure.  Your light surrounds me like girls surround Justin Bieber.  Every time I think of you, I think of the song "My Girl."  Please be my Valentine?


These next few were excellent expressions of my own love of chocolate.  Very well worded, if you ask me.

Dear Cocoa Bean, 
    Thank you for making it possible for all the women in the world to have chocolate. We would probably have killed some people if it weren't for you.  We all love you.


Dear Chocolate,
     I love you so much! You taste so good, but yet you're so mean and make people fat!  Why do you have to be so mean?  You should try to be nicer like salad.


Dear Hershey chocolate bar, 
    Thanks for tasting so good.  You help me get the sweet tooth away.  You're not just a chocolate bar. You're my friend.  I love your sweet taste, and I love the way you look.  You are better than fruit and vegetables.  You are the best thing I have ever eaten.  I love you Hershey chocolate bar.


This one was nice.  Mostly because there are some days that I appreciate blatant sucking up.  This student wrote this right after he earned detention for his behavior in class.  I think he was trying to get out of it.

Dear Ms. Herring, 
     I love your class like a pencil loves paper, like language loves its teacher, like the sun loves the planets.  Ms. Herring, you are my favorite teacher.  Happy Valentine's Day.


And on the flip side, there are students who could care less what I say....

Dear Nail on the wall in Ms. Herring's class, 
     Not many people notice you.  You are on the seventeenth block on the second row above the Smartboard.  I have often stared at your for a whole class period.  Thanks for being there for me.


What I was reminded of, as I read all these letters, was the fact that I love my students and their various personalities.  No matter how frustrating, overwhelming, or exasperating a day of work can be, at the end of that day, I have the best job in the world.  Happy post-Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment