Monday, August 15, 2011

The First Day

Day One is complete!! Woohoo! This is how I felt at the end of the day....
I made it!  I spent the whole weekend being so nervous.  What if I'm not as good as they think I'm going to be?  What if the kids think I'm terrible?  I didn't want to be too friendly or too tough--just enough of both for the kids to like and respect me....

And after all that worrying, it went just fine.  Sometimes, you really do have to let go and let God.  I was trying to do it all by myself, but I'm not kidding when I say that there was some definite Divine intervention in my first day of school.  I expected things to go wrong all day.  I expected major monitoring and adjusting to have to occur.  But I walked in at 7:15 AM, collected my thoughts, put an objective on the board, and it was like everything just worked.  Now, don't get me wrong.  It wasn't perfect.  I still have a long way to go toward being the teacher I want to be.  But I also didn't feel like my classroom was going down like the Titanic.  Not even once.  Therefore, I declare today a personal success. I  kept my cool, and (hopefully) fooled those kids into thinking I knew exactly what I was doing all day.  I'll try to post more on Friday about the first week.  Just wanted to share a little excitement and get out those first day jitters.  Happy back-to-school everyone! 

P.S.  You can follow my English classes and their progress this year here.  Hope you find the time to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment