Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Creating a Vision

The first two days of school are in the books, and they were great!  Before I started my first year of teaching, a then-coworker told me I wouldn't quite feel comfortable in the classroom until the third year. At the time, I thought that was a pretty negative statement, but after the first two days of Year Three, I'm thinking maybe there was some truth to what she said.  I was really nervous, like more nervous than I probably should have been, leading up to the start of this new year.  But once the first bell rang, I felt the most calm and collected I've ever felt on the first day.

On top of feeling more confident and relaxed, it helped that I have a great group of students this year!  I am so excited about learning with them and seeing where this year takes us.  Which leads me into my very favorite thing about this new year...writing classroom vision statements.

This year, one of the teachers on my team suggested that we have each class write a vision statement about where they want this year to go. I was nervous about this at first.  You can never tell whether 7th graders are going to be mature enough to handle something like this on Day One, or if they'll make it a game.  I was SO impressed today when it all came together.  Every class fully participated in a democratic way.  They encouraged each other and improved on each other's ideas respectfully.  By the end of the day, I had decided that this lesson is probably one of my favorite lessons that I have ever facilitated (that's right.  I facilitated.  The kids wrote these by themselves!)  Here they are... I think you'll see why I am so excited!

1st Period’s Class Vision Statement
School is important because it helps you become successful.  Therefore, our class should be hard-working and respectful every day, so we can learn vocabulary and writing skills in 7th grade English.  In order to learn and be successful, students in 1st period will listen, do their best, and be prepared.  As your teacher, Ms. Herring will be detailed and specific and make sure you understand to help you have an awesome year!

2nd Period’s Class Vision Statement
School is important because it teaches you the life skills you need to go to college or get a job.  Therefore, our class should be focused and prepared every day, so we can learn vocabulary and writing, reading, and grammar skills in 7th grade English.  In order to learn and be successful, students in 2nd period will listen, work hard, and be respectful.  As your teacher, Ms. Herring will make sure you understand when you struggle and be detailed and specific to help you have an awesome year!

3rd Period’s Class Vision Statement
School is important because it gives you life skills and helps you become successful.  Therefore, our class should be awesome by being focused and prepared, so we can learn reading, writing, grammar, and vocabulary skills in 7th grade English.  In order to learn and be successful, students in 3rd period will listen, work hard, and be respectful.  As your teacher, Ms. Herring will be detailed and specific and help you when you struggle, while being nice, in order to help you have an awesome year!

6th Period’s Class Vision Statement
School is important because it gives you life skills and helps you go to college and get a job.  Therefore, our class should be respectful and hard-working every day, so we can learn reading, writing, and grammar skills in 7th grade English.  In order to learn and be successful, students in 6th period will pay attention, work hard, and be prepared.  As your teacher, Ms. Herring will be nice and help you understand when you struggle, so you have an awesome year!

7th Period’s Class Vision Statement
School is important because it teaches you life skills and helps you become successful.  Therefore, our class should be awesome by being focused and prepared every day, so we can learn reading, writing, and grammar skills in 7th grade English.  In order to learn and be successful, students in 7th period will listen, do their best, and be respectful. As your teacher, Ms. Herring will be detailed and specific, help you understand when you struggle, and be nice, so you have an awesome year!

8th Period’s Class Vision Statement
School is important because it helps you go to college so you will have a bright future.  Therefore, our class should be focused and hard-working every day, so we can learn reading, writing, grammar, and vocabulary skills in 7th grade English.  In order to learn and be successful, students in 8th period will listen, work hard, be prepared, and be respectful.  As your teacher, Ms. Herring will be nice, detailed, and specific, will help you when you struggle, and will make sure you understand, so you have an awesome year!

These are all now printed, laminated, and posted proudly at the front of my classroom, so we can refer to them throughout the year and make sure we're on track with our vision.  What I love so much about these is that they're all similar in some ways, but they're also different.  You can see what each class values, what makes it unique as a group of students.  My favorite moment today was during third period when a student said, "I am going to love this class!  I've never felt like I had a say in class before.  It's like I have ownership."  Oh. my. gosh.  Seriously?!  Isn't that what all teachers are working toward?  Student ownership is key.  They've got to buy in and be engaged if anything great is going to happen.  I think today as a great first step in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment